Monday, February 1, 2010

New things


I have a new clothes line. That's a story.

The holes were dug, the poles ordered and welded, and then nothing.

After 2 days, I said, "Why are the poles not up?"

My house worker said they needed rocks to mix with the cement.

I asked her where they could be purchased, and she said, "Just over there."

I went to the watchman, and said, "I hear you need rocks." He said, "Yes, I will price them and then get them in a wheelbarrow."

That afternoon, Doug and I secured a wheelbarrow. When we returned, we walked in the gate, and there was my watchman, with a wheelbarrow WITH rocks.

I said, "Where did you get the rocks?"

He said, "There were some behind your wall, and I had a wheelbarrow here."

Communication is going to be fun! I waited two days for rocks, when apparently, there were some behind my wall.

***I also wanted you to know, I finally uploaded a video of some of the wedding music. It is short, but it will give you an idea. It took over an hour to upload, so I'm feeling very proud.

***New things #3: Doug looked in the "Where there is no Doctor" book for Africa, and I believe he has diagnosed the kids appropriately. They have Giardia. Now we have a place to start.

3 comments:

Ingrid said...

My name is Ingrid and I work at Hesperian, publishers of Where There Is No Doctor www.hesperian.org. We're so glad you were able to diagnose the giardia! I was in the Peace Corps and one of my fellow volunteers had it - he was miserable and lost a lot of weight, but once he figured out what was going on, he got better. We all had copies of Where There Is No Doctor.

We hope to have a translation of this book in Luganda, eventually - http://www.hesperian.org/publications_translation.php

Your pictures are lovely! If you have any stories about using our books or pictures of the work you're doing, we'd love to se them

Thanks! ingrid@hesperian.org

"Kim" said...

I'm glad the kids are feeling better!! I love reading about your every day adventures. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Every time I read a story, it reminds me of when we were in Africa. Take care.... Love, Kim

"Kim" said...

By the way...my original post name was a joke between Suzanne and I!! I just changed it!! I almost died when I saw it published!!!